Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Donated Medtronic Pump News......

Earlier this week the CDE coordinator at our clinic called to tell us the "process" Medtronic uses to get their "paws in the cookie jar", so to speak!!! We were told that to use the donated pump we needed to send it in to Medtronic, and have the original owner contact Medtronic to have ownership transfered to us. We then get a "new" pump with the same platform......not a newer model, just a different pump, same model, that they deem usable. All warranties transfer, but if there is no warranty, well, then we are stuck....stuck paying Medtronic $495!! Yes, it's true, for this "service" Medtronic requires a fee of $495!!! OUCH!! So much for my dreams of getting donated pumps to people that need them!!

Needless to say I was a little bummed about this the day she called. We really want to just use this pump for a short time, to get us acclimated to pumping......see if it's "our cup of tea"....and give us time to save. That $500 would be a good start to saving up for the next pump.

Hubby believes we must be paying Medtronic for their "help" line, which I've read can be an invaluable resource especially if you don't have a great endo clinic.

So.....here is the status thus far. I wrote the clinic back this morning and wondered if we could move forward with the pump process with the donated pump, but without sending it into Medtronic. If the pump is unusable we'll be able to tell because of the close monitoring that goes on in the beginning. She replied back saying she totally understands what we are saying, but that the clinic has never, as far as she knows, encountered such a situation. She is going to run this by a bunch of people and get back to us in a couple of days.

I called my contact today about the pump. Unfortunately her grandmother died...:-(, so I wasn't able to speak to her, and I certainly don't want to bother her at this time. So I have no idea if the pump is still warrantied.

We called our insurance and they "say" they typically do approve pumps, but a full medical review would have to still be involved. With J.J.'s A1C being so high I can't imagine they'd deny the doctor's request....but then again.....yes, I can. Anyhoo....if they do approve the pump it appears the cost would be $3,500 instead of $6,000. Oh, to be Katie, and get the pump for $25!! What a dream!! Can you see the jealousy meter go off the charts!!???

So, I guess we are in a holding pattern. So many decisions to be made. I don't know....I could swallow a couple hundred in "fees" but $500!! OUCH AGAIN!! So now we may be facing another decision....to cough up the $500 for an unknown situation....the pump they send may not work either, but if it doesn't and there is no warranty well then we are seriously stuck...and out $500. OR We may just end up waiting until we have the money to cover the cost of a new pump. I'm kind of really hoping they just let us get on with the training so we can get to using the pump. I really hate all this decision making....

As a side note.....I called to schedule an appointment with our "hospital endo"....she was booked for the next 3 1/2 months!! All the way into JULY!! You know what that tells me....she's good!!! So I'm stickin' with her. The extra drive will be worth it....I'll just have to make use of all the splendid educational opportunities that await us in St. Paul!!!

3 comments:

Donna said...

Lynnea - Oh I hate that they are putting you through all of this. It seems there are hoops to jump through no matter what the situation. I'm sure things will work out & you will make the right decision - even though it's a tough one. I'll pray for you. Hang in there!

mel said...

Have you tried having the pump company fill out the insurance papers? I can't remember if I asked you that already. When I got my pump I didn't do any of the paperwork or talk to my insurance company at all. Medtronic took care of it entirely and I have paid for nothing. I'm sure this has to do with my insurance too, but instead of working on this problem yourself, I think you should apply for a pump through a company. Believe me, minimed doesn't care who pays for the pump, they just want the money, so if they negotiate and deal with the insurance company and know that coverage is the only way they'll get your business, I would assume that they would try every loophole possible. I wouldn't pay for anything until I've had them try the legwork.

Anonymous said...

I got my medtronic pump 3 years ago. Before i got the pump i called my insurance company and they told me that i had to pay the $6000 bill and then they would reimburse me. so i told the medtronic rep that i couldn't pay that so i couldn't get the pump. the rep told me that if i filled out some paper work they would contact the insurance company directly so i filled out the paper work they gave me and then i got my pump...then 3 months later they told me that the insurance company hasn't paid them so i called the insurance company and they told me that I have to submit the forms personally so i contacted medtronic and arrange to send a post dated cheque to them and that they would need to send me an original receipt showing i paid so i could submit it to my insurance company. it has been 3 years and i have sent about 6 postdated cheques because they keep expiring and medtronic has attempted to deposit a few of them but they have not sent me the original reciept yet. i call them repeatedly and spoke with them and told them they need to send me the reciept so i can claim the money so they can deposit the cheque. I am getting sick of repeatedly contacting them about this. i am due for a pump renewal every 3 years with my insurance company so when medtronic finally sends me the paper work to get them the money i am planning to switch to a different pump company because Medtronic isn't work the trouble!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...