I can't fully explain the strain on our hearts when we can't figure out why J.J. is going high or low all the time. Hubby said on Sunday that instead of a stressful diabetes DAY it's been a stressful diabetes WEEK. It's true. We thought we were coming out of the high numbers, then to see them steady eddy HIGH again, was disconcerting.
Well, this morning we were finally "relieved". My heart suddenly felt lighter when I changed his site.
Last night as I was preparing for "site change morning", I noticed in our diabetes stash, infusion sets that said "9mm" instead of "6mm". WHAT? NINE......not SIX!! Well that would explain a ton. Like why J.J. was continually complaining that his site hurt....ummmm he rarely complains beyond the initial "shock".
This morning when I took the site off it looked huge to me, plus it was "partially" kinked. So that would explain the highs as well.....depending probably on how much insulin I was dosing at any given time. Anyway....
Problem solved.....at least this one.....now on to a new one....
When I was changing the site our reservoir didn't look right and I couldn't get it to release it's suction. I remember seeing a picture of a "bad" reservoir in one of the books I have, also reading about the pressure issue. So as I changed the site I was combing through my books.....still trying not to release the pressure so I didn't ruin the reservoir. Anyway.....figures that the O-ring on the bottom the reservoir had a leak. I quickly read how I could've remedied it BEFORE I put insulin in, but it was too late. I had to trash the reservoir.
ANOTHER LESSON LEARNED!!!
So much to learn......I think I'm all learned out.....but I'll take the RELIEF that comes with finally LEARNING!!