Monday, September 1, 2008

Not exactly what I was thinking....

This morning I still had in the back of my mind that we need to get J.J.'s insulin sensitivity test done by Friday. I was hoping he would wake up high this morning, but too much flashlight tag late into the night made that pretty much impossible. However, when we called him in for lunch Sarah calls out:

"Mom he's 546!!"

"WHAT? 546?!!"

Hubby and I looked at each other, mouths open wide. We haven't seen a number like that since....???

"Didn't you dose for breakfast?"

"Well, of course I dosed for break...fasss...t. Oh, no...I didn't write anything down, I guess I didn't dose. I'm so sorry."

"Hey, no problem, we'll get his sensitivity test over with. Not the way I expected, but it'll work. He'll have to have eggs or something for lunch...NO CARBS!"

Hubby and I mulled over in our minds what he had for breakfast......3 pieces of french toast, syrup, milk and bacon. (Hey, it's a holiday!!) We counted in our heads....nearly 100 carbs!! WOW!!

So we give him a correction dose--2.5 units-- and check in two hours:

63!!

Hubby thought we should've done 2.0 units because he figured every half unit brings him down 100. I think I was just freaked out that he was so high so I told him to add the half.....oops!! Well, now we know. This kid is sensitive to insulin. Hopefully the clinic can use the numbers even though I was supposed to check him at 3 hrs, and 4 hrs without carbs. We obviously had to give him carbs to keep him from crashing....so....???? I really don't want to repeat this type of test again!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...