Saturday, November 15, 2008

Experiment Results....

As most of you know coping with diabetes is one big science experiment. Our most recent experiment has been with his allergy to the tape on the infusion set. We tried using an I.V. tape....and it was going good for the first 24 hours or so....but the results are in........

HE'S ALLERGIC TO THE I.V. TAPE!!

Yesterday I noticed he had been scratching on the edges of the tape. I could see the redness starting. Tonight when I looked at his bum it looked like a war zone. He's been itching all over. I think that's why his numbers have been running higher....not sure though...could be anything!!

I have a few different tapes to try and other barrier and I.V. prep wipes. Who knows what combination, if any, will work with him.

I've resigned myself to thinking the pump may not be an option at this time. Even J.J. is begging to go back to shots. Yesterday I had to bring down a high with a shot and at the time he was hoping I would take the pump off and go straight to shots. I told him I couldn't just do that. He was breaking my heart. I know the itching must be pretty bad if he is begging to go back to shots.

I do hope we find a solution soon, but I know it may take awhile to finish all the experiments! I just wish I didn't have to use my son in this BIG experiment....or even the little one!:-(

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi my name is katerina and i also have a son who was diagnosed one year ago.He is 8. we are still on shots my son feels better with 5-6 shots per day rather than a pump that is all the time strapped on him. his control is very good last two a1c has been 5.4 and 5.3. he is on lantus and novorapid. please listen to your son you can achieve good control either way. i feel these kidshave so many have to do things it is arelief if sometimes they can choose what they feel most comfortable with. sorry if i came too strong, just a worried parent ....

Lynnea said...

Katrina...thanks so much for your comment. I do feel so blessed to live in a time where we do have a choice. I just told hubby that we live in a different time...insulins are so good nowadays we can choose either option. And options may change over time...the pump may not be what we need right now, but it may be later, etc. I think everyone has to do what is best for them and explore their options. I'm all for BOTH...pump or shots...but for us right now the verdict is still out. We are still in the evaluation mode.:-)

Jill said...

Lynnea...The good thing is, you figued out exactly what was causing all the itching. Now its just a matter of figuring out what works for JJ :) If he wants to go back to shots then it might be something you could do for 6 months and then try the pump again. Whichever you decide to do...you know you have the blogging support of all of the parents and other wonderful people living with diabetes here.

*big hugz*

AmyT said...

Oh man, I feel for you! I'm also allergic to the tape. See here:
http://www.diabetesmine.com/2008/07/medical-adhesives-my-allergy-hell.html

But I've been trying a product called CovaTev from AllKare (protective barrier wipes) and they work pretty well.

All the best,
AmyT

Kelly said...

Are you sure you need to use a tape? We have medtronic also and simply use the IV Prep wipes before insertion. We have never needed any other adhesive. Just a thought!

Lynnea said...

type1mom--J.J. is allergic to the tape on the infusion set itself. So we are looking for a better "barrier" for him. We have to go through a trial and error process of which products may or may not work. We have several different barrier wipes we have tried, and now are going through different tape options. So far he's allergic to the chemicals used in the adhesives.:-( Simply using a barrier wipe at this time will not work for him.

Cara said...

Yuck! I hope you can figure something out. Right after I got my pump I had a break out and we thought I might be allergic. Turns out I wasn't (thanks heavens!), it was just a one time thing. But I still find myself itching when it's super hot outside or sometimes just randomly.
If it had been as bad as that first break out I had, I don't know that I wouldn't have wanted to go back on shots!
Keep us updated and I'll be praying that something works out soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...